Thorny Knits

I've got a husband, twin toddlers, a cat who I probably forgot to feed this morning, and never, ever enough time to knit.

7.23.2007

Calling 1-800-GYPSIES; a story in pictures

At long last, here is what I believe was the source of my terrible nightmare from the other day:


This is my first-born child.

This is Crown Mountain Farms Sock Hop yarn in the Hang On Sloopy colorway. I bought it for myself last August with a bit of birthday dosh. It is the most expensive yarn I own.

This is what my first-born child did to the most expensive yarn I own.

These are the DVDs which contain the five episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer I watched while untangling the most expensive yarn I own.

Once I was finished, (Damn is orange yarn hard to photograph!)

I bathed my child, and combed his hair, and fluffed it back up so it was nice and curly again. I dressed him in a nice clean outfit.

And I called the gypsies.

This is how much the gypsies offered me for my clean, well-dressed, cute-to-the-casual-observer child.

This struck me as a bit low, considering that at 11 cents a year, that's an abysmally low return on investment.

I thanked them for their time but decided I would keep the child, though I was still mystified as to what would prompt them to make such a low offer.

After they left, I noticed my one and only skein of (accursed) Socks That Rock:

Mystery solved.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

  • At Tue Jul 24, 08:25:00 AM CDT, Blogger Lanea said…

    Evil!
    You're trying to sell the boy to the wrong people. My Mom will buy him from you, but then she'll probably just try to give him to me four days a week, so please don't sell him to her.

     
  • At Tue Jul 24, 01:30:00 PM CDT, Blogger meg said…

    Um, wow. The carnage is so much more realistic now.
    (Yarn vault, yarn vault, yarn vault....)

     
  • At Tue Jul 24, 03:43:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Note to self: "Must put yarn up higher & out of reach"

     
  • At Tue Jul 24, 09:24:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I enjoyed this post a lot - sorry about your yarn though...

     
  • At Fri Jul 27, 06:29:00 PM CDT, Blogger meesh said…

    Hi Thorny,

    I'm just catching up on some blogs. I am so sorry about your beautiful yarns, but...your post sure made me smile. SOrry about those darn gypsies, but it is probably for the best. ;)

    Who do think can do more damage to a 'most expensive yarn'? A little kid or a curious cat?

     
  • At Sat Jul 28, 11:13:00 PM CDT, Blogger graymama said…

    LMFAO!

    At least Season 3 of Buffy was a good one, and you had the chance to watch 7 episodes :-P

     
  • At Sun Jul 29, 09:38:00 PM CDT, Blogger Suze said…

    this cracked me up, totally.

    and though i understand your frustration, i could think of worse things than watching buffy (big fan here) and winding yarn :)

     
  • At Tue Jul 31, 10:17:00 AM CDT, Blogger FemiKnitMafia said…

    Dang!!! DAaaaaa nnnnn gggggg.... Someone is in serious trouble. Once it's resolved, please post another photo so we know that you didn't kill him. And don't try posting a photo of his brother -- we're smarter than that. Hang in there mama.

     
  • At Tue Aug 07, 10:52:00 AM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL! That orange yarn is beautiful.

    Happy Birthday!

     
  • At Mon Oct 01, 07:02:00 PM CDT, Blogger Danielle said…

    Hi – I saw a comment that you left on my friend the FemiKnitMafia’s blog. I wanted to email you a question, but I can’t seem to find your email address. If it’s not too much trouble, can you drop me a line at aswiminknits AT yahoo DOT com?
    Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home