Thorny Knits

I've got a husband, twin toddlers, a cat who I probably forgot to feed this morning, and never, ever enough time to knit.

5.09.2007

The Never Finished Object

Thursday afternoon last week I got a call from my sister. Our mom had a heart attack Tuesday night in her home and had died. When she didn't go in to work Wednesday or Thursday, and didn't call in, her coworkers got worried and called the police. They went and found her.

The last several days have been very surreal. My mom was only 53 years old, and we fully expected to have plenty more years of driving each other crazy. Her mom - my grandmother - died just over two years ago, so we figured we had plenty more time to mend fences, bury axes, build bridges, that whole business.

In the past few years I've been knitting, I had never found quite the right project to knit for her. I'd come close a few times, but never could quite find something that seemed truly appropriate. So I waited until I did.

Now I never will.

I thought about knitting something small to put in with her, and even got as far as casting on and knitting a couple inches worth. But it just didn't seem quite right. And then I ran out of time to work on it any further, so I wound up just letting it go.

I've cried about a lot of things over the past few days, but I think that was one of the first realizations that came out of no where and really socked me in the gut. I've had many more since then, and probably have many many more to go.

15 Comments:

  • At Wed May 09, 07:19:00 PM CDT, Blogger Ginny said…

    I am so sorry about your mother. My thoughts are with you and your family.

     
  • At Thu May 10, 08:36:00 AM CDT, Blogger FemiKnitMafia said…

    Whoah Thorny. I wish I could be there to give you several bit slobbery hugs. Consider this a slobbery cyber hug!

    [excuse me while I go find those unfinished projects for my mom...]

     
  • At Thu May 10, 09:05:00 AM CDT, Blogger Suze said…

    Oh, I am so so sorry to hear this, Thorny. I know you haven't had the easiest time with your mom. Sending healing vibes your way.
    Peace,
    Suze

     
  • At Thu May 10, 12:07:00 PM CDT, Blogger Lanea said…

    I am so terribly sorry. 53 is far too young. Far too young.

     
  • At Thu May 10, 04:33:00 PM CDT, Blogger Angie said…

    I agree with Ianea, far too young. May you find peace.

     
  • At Thu May 10, 06:42:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm terribly, terribly sorry. How shocking. I lost my mom when she was 56, so I know full well how much too young your mom was. I'm really just so very sorry. You'll be in my thoughts.

     
  • At Thu May 10, 07:10:00 PM CDT, Blogger Scoutj said…

    Oh I'm so sorry. I wish I could give you a big hug in person. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

     
  • At Fri May 11, 04:26:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so sorry for your loss. I dread the day my mom passes.

     
  • At Sun May 20, 06:04:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Thorny. I've been too far behind on blogs and only now just checked in. I'm so very, very sorry for your loss. I'm sending warm thoughts and strength your way. Many hugs.

     
  • At Sun May 20, 10:18:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've never visited you before, but I wanted to say that I'm so sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

     
  • At Sat May 26, 08:32:00 AM CDT, Blogger Michelle said…

    I'm so sorry to hear your story, and sadly, I can relate all too well. My grandma taught me how to knit when I was a little girl, and I always wanted to knit something for her. But years passed, and knitting went in and out of my life, and when I finally set about to knit her a scarf, she was diagnosed with cancer. My grandma passed away before I ever did finish. It pains me now even to think of it. And I can't imagine losing my mother. Sending you good thoughts and prayers.

     
  • At Tue Jun 12, 01:19:00 PM CDT, Blogger melanie said…

    Oh Thorny, I'm so, so sorry. Thinking of you and sending cyber strength and love.

     
  • At Tue Jun 12, 01:20:00 PM CDT, Blogger melanie said…

    PS - very, very late...I'm totally behind on blogs since leaving MA. Still, thinking of you.

     
  • At Tue Jun 19, 04:08:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thorny, I am so sorry. I am so late leaving this message for you. I saw the Two Sock Knitters at MDSW and they told me then. I just read your post and it's making me cry. My dad had a stroke last year. He's alive and ambulatory, but just not the same person. My mom takes care of him alone and she's so weary. I still can't think of what to make for her, but I'd better get off my ass and do it.

    Many good thoughts going your way.

     
  • At Thu Jun 21, 08:03:00 AM CDT, Blogger Lanea said…

    Hiya! Just dropping by to say I hope you and yours are doing well, all things considered. And I miss your posts, so I hope you can come back soon. Happy first day of summer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home