Thorny Knits

I've got a husband, twin toddlers, a cat who I probably forgot to feed this morning, and never, ever enough time to knit.

4.20.2007

Fiber Trek: The Search for a Flock

As I mentioned in my earlier post, despite my idiotically sprained sternum, I was still all set to drive down to Chicagoville to see the ever-lovely Yarn Harlot do her book-signing, speaking, whirlwind gig. Her earlier tours I wasn't able to make it for various reasons (both small and blonde and generally cute-yet-exasperating - ahem), but this time, finally, we were able to arrange it so that I could go. Meg and Jonathan graciously offered me a place to land overnight while I was there, and so I was set. I was quite happy about this, as you might imagine.

You may recall that I also mentioned that I had decided that I would make my first pilgrimage to The Fold on my way down as well.

Well! Pilgrimate I did and, despite the flattering faith in my moral fortitude exhibited by kimd, I did not actually manage to abstain from purchasing any of the many, many, many pretties I met there. Not by a long shot.

Seriously, does anyone else think Toni could run an organlegging operation out of the back in no time flat? I mean, I've got two kidneys, after all. I'm sure I could spare one, really....

So what did I get, you ask? Well, obviously I was a woman with a mission. I simply had to get my first taste of the almighty Socks That Rock. And so I did.

This is STR mediumweight, colorway Jewel of the Nile. I've been ogling it on Toni's site for ages, and so when I stood there going, "Oh god, oh god, ohgodohgodohgod, what do I pick?" I decided to go with the one I'd been longing for the longest. (Note: Cast on a pair of Jaywalkers with it last Monday, turned the heel and started working the gusset of the first sock last weekend. Am in love. Pictures soon.)


The colors in this picture did not turn out as nicely, but I hope you get the idea. It's the best shot I could get.

In all that talk about STR, nobody mentioned to me that The Fold is apparently THE place to go for Mountain Colors yarns, short of, y'know, the Mountain Colors folks themselves, obviously. How did that escape mention all this time?! Not that I'm looking to assign the blame. All's well that ends well, I say, and the fact that they had the exact colorway in the exact yarn I've been looking for for months now certainly counts as "ending well" as far as I'm concerned. That would be Weavers Wool Quarters in Ruby River, for the record.

I can't wait to make luscious thick boot socks out of it!


Of course I picked up some fiber - this is some Colonial roving in a "Red Multi" colorway. I haven't gotten a chance to play with it yet, but I take it out every so often and pet it like it's my new pet kitten or something. (Not as far-fetched as you might think - I swear I heard it start to purr the other day. Though Caz insists that was just me.)

Of course, to go with that lovely fiber, well... I had to... you know.

My new drop spindle.
I hemmed and hawed and pondered and looked at all the many lovely spindles, all vying for my attention. And then I saw this beauty, sort of tucked behind a few other spindles, patiently waiting on a lower rack, and went, "Oh. Well. Hello then." And I pretended to consider a few other spindles, just to keep them all from feeling too badly about themselves, and then me and this sweetie wandered off to a quiet corner to get a little better acquainted.

Get your minds out of the gutter! I've been behaving the perfect gentlewoman, here. Well, mostly. There was that one night while we were watching TV late at night, but I was properly chastised for my impudence and we're going to take things slow from now on.

I'm trying to finish up the blue on the other spindle and re-read Spin It* and look at some other sources if possible (anybody got any suggestions?), so I have more of an idea of what I'm doing with regards to a drop spindle which I actually intend to, y'know, drop.

So, having met my original purchasing goals (STR, fiber, spindle), and spent all that I could afford, it was time to get back on the road.

* Ha! I originally typed "Spit It!" which I think would be a different book entirely. Entirely.

To Be Continued.....

6 Comments:

  • At Sun Apr 22, 10:51:00 AM CDT, Blogger Suze said…

    *drip, drip, drip"

    that would be my drool hitting the floor. such lucious colors!

    i have to admit that my ho-hum attitude towards socks keeps me from being tempted by sock yarn. and i'm not usually a big fan of self-striping. still, i can't wait to see what it looks like knitted up!

     
  • At Mon Apr 23, 03:17:00 PM CDT, Blogger CrossedStars said…

    I still can't fathom doing your own spinning. I can see where it would be cool, but I dare not examine it too closely. I have enough hobbies right now. :)

     
  • At Wed Apr 25, 08:38:00 AM CDT, Blogger Lanea said…

    Droooooolllll.
    Great, now my keyboarad is shorting out.
    What a fun trip!

     
  • At Wed Apr 25, 02:11:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very restrained. I'm impressed. I can rarely get out of Toni's den of iniquity without spending gobs and gobs of money. And doesn't she give just the best hugs too?! (Other than the kidlets, of course.)

     
  • At Wed May 09, 10:40:00 AM CDT, Blogger Glenna C said…

    I just found your blog and wanted to say hello! Your easter-egg-dye sock yarn father down is just beautiful. and while I do not have twins, I am a twin myself so I offer lots of sympathy. (We fought over the stupidest things. ;) )

     
  • At Wed Jun 13, 11:36:00 PM CDT, Blogger nikki nimble needles said…

    What a pretty drop spindle! I have been wanting to learn how to spin for awhile now, but I have been afraid that I'd get hooked on another hobby. Eeeek!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home