Thorny Knits

I've got a husband, twin toddlers, a cat who I probably forgot to feed this morning, and never, ever enough time to knit.

2.26.2006

I have an illness and lack commitment

So, this evening my nearest mommy-friend asked if I wanted to join her in seeing Brokeback Mountain after we got our respective children to bed. (Thank goodness for 9:30 shows!)

At first, I thought, "But... I need to seam my sweater! I was going to be all super-cool and have one of the kids wear it to Breakfast Club Sunday morning!" And then Caz wisely intervened and pointed out, "You have all of tomorrow. How often do you get out these days? Go. See. The. Movie."

So I did.

Never mind the four blocked and ready pieces of sweater I've got sitting here, never mind the seaming I need to do, never mind that the closing ceremonies are TOMORROW and weren't-we-using-the-Olympics-as-an-opportunity-to-grow and how-is-waiting-until-the-very-last-minute-like-usual-represent-growth-of-any-kind-again? Never mind all that. There was Getting Out to do, and dammit I did it.

The movie was, as all the critics have said, marvellous and amazing. Heath Ledger did such a good job being all clench-jawed and taciturn I was powerfully reminded of my grandfather through the entire movie. Michelle Williams was... I used to watch her on Dawson's Creek, back in its early, non-sucking seasons, and I had no idea she had this in her. Really just... remarkable. You should all go see it if you haven't already.

Here's the funny thing - did you know there are sheep in that movie? There are! OODLES of them! And me, with this weird new illness I just realized I have contracted, got all doofy looking at all those sheep going, "Wow. Look at all that wool."

sigh. Stick a fork in me, I'm done. (What? That's not hip anymore? The kids think that's lame? As is 'lame'? Really? Oh. Well. Crap. The cool kids do still say "crap", right? Oh good.)

3 Comments:

  • At Sun Feb 26, 08:53:00 AM CST, Blogger strangelittlemama said…

    Looking forward to seeing that SEAMED sweater....!!
    ;)

     
  • At Sun Feb 26, 11:14:00 PM CST, Blogger meg said…

    Sheep? *That's* what you noticed about Brokeback Mountain? The sheep? This is why knitters don't review movies ... "This film, set in New York City, has no sheep in it, despite a stunning performance by Nick Nolte."

     
  • At Mon Feb 27, 02:31:00 AM CST, Blogger Thorny said…

    In the early segment of the movie, yes, I noticed the sheep. I also noticed awe-inspiring cinematography, exquisitely nuanced performances and really artful direction. I can notice several things at once, you know. It's what made me such a badass copy editor. grin.

    Also? The last "stunning" performance I saw from Nick Nolte was in "The Hulk", except it wasn't so much the good kind of stunning. More like the, "Good lord, did he come to the set straight from prison?" The less-good kind of stunning. Just saying.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home