Thorny Knits

I've got a husband, twin toddlers, a cat who I probably forgot to feed this morning, and never, ever enough time to knit.

11.04.2005

To Dye or Not To Dye

Oh lordy. I'm soooo in over my head, and just looking to get in deeper.

I've got... I'm afraid to get an actual count... not very many days until Christmas, by which time I need to knit two stockings for the boys, probably winter hats for them (unless this "Whaddaya mean there's no such thing as global warming?" weather continues through December, in which case they'll have no need for hats by then anyway), plus I've got at least one or two hats and at least one scarf to do. That's all stuff that I haven't even cast on for yet. Some of those I don't even have /yarn/ for yet.

What I /do/ have on the needles is one mini-Clapotis scarf, three socks from three different pairs (one of which has made it all the way to the heel flap, so if I keep up current progress, I could have my first pair of handmade socks within a week, maybe ten days), and... huh. That's it. Interesting.

Okay. So that's what's currently on the plate, right?

But now, all the sudden, there are people /everywhere/ dyeing yarn and cloth and cool stuff, and it's killing me.

Meg and Carrie dyed some yarn and fabric over this past weekend, and then Alison and her (really adorable) twin boys had fun dyeing yarn with Kool-aid yesterday. All of which just makes me want to throw caution to the wind, grab up my two hanks of KnitPicks Color Your Own and the roughly 30 (that's right, thirty) packets of Kool-aid I've somehow acquired (have I mentioned I don't even drink the stuff?) and dye up some sock yarn this very afternoon.

Not, of course, that I need more sock yarn. Three pairs currently on the needles should darn well be enough for anyone, but especially for someone who has yet to finish even a single pair. Nor, for that matter, do I have any more free needles on which socks might be knit. But man, do I want to play with the colors and the yarn and the good good fun! Gyah.

Instead, will be a good little toaster... or something... and try to stay the course here. Finish the one pair of socks, get yarn for the stockings (what kind of awful mother would I be if I didn't provide my kids with Christmas stockings??), and go go go GO!! Or, you know, something.

What if I dyed just one hank of yarn???

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home