Thorny Knits

I've got a husband, twin toddlers, a cat who I probably forgot to feed this morning, and never, ever enough time to knit.

8.06.2005

Wuv, twoo wuv....

I'm in love. Deeply, truly, surprisingly in love.

When I got the big bug up my backside to start this squirrelly thing, I decided to check out a few other blogs out there.

I've been perusing a few blogs for a while now, but it was only when I decided to start this that I really started checking things out. I blame Mamacate for being my gateway blogger. I found her through a mom-of-twins group and she mentioned knitting and I went, "Ah-ha! A knitter with twins! Perfect!" And indeed it has been. I've enjoyed reading her blog immensely, and cannot deny the freaky parallels which seem to exist. Not only did she also name one of her twins Henry, but I have seen photos of her at a Sheep & Wool Festival wearing, I kid you not, Chucks. I'm almost certain that's what they were. Despite the fuzziness of the picture and the fact that we're talking just a very small part of the photo, I've worn Chucks for almost 16 years now and I can tell you, I know that little star on the ankle anywhere.

But, despite all this gushing, my deep and abiding love is not for Cate (sorry, lady!).

No, I've fallen head over heels for the same knit-mad maven all the knit-bloggers adore, The Yarn Harlot. To the extent that for two insomnia-laden nights in a row, I've sat up reading her archives. In fact, tonight when I started, I decided to go back and start at the beginning. Why? Not out of some completist inclination, I can assure you that. No, it was because I caught a mention of her attending a birth in one of her entries and I said, (this is a quote, mind you), "No way." So I started reading. And after reading her first two (or was it three?) months of knit-blogging, the cagey minx never did say outright what she's up to with all this birthing wackiness.

All right. Be coy if you like. I'm a woman of the 21st century. I've got Google and I know how to use it. I even, because being sleep-deprived actually seems to make me smarter though far less productive, made sure to add 'birthing' to my Googling, so as to avoid the squizillion hits I'd be sure to get from all the other knit-bloggers who've loved her longer and better than I, and all the hits regarding her most recent book and subsequent tour.

And there it is. I was right. This thing that I think I may want to do when I finally eventually grow up already? The thing I'm not talking about too much, for fear I'll self-sabotage again. That's what she does. Well, it's not all she does, but she does it. For real. I'm frankly blown away by the cosmic convergence, and well... determined that if I get any more birthday dosh, I will not squander it on silly things like bills and whatnot. Instead, I will hie me to a bookstore to pick up at least one of her books.

Or, you know, at the very least, pay that massive ransom balloon payment late fee I owe the library, so that I can check it out. Of course, then I could check out pattern books again too, so... maybe it's best if we wait on that a bit after all.

4 Comments:

  • At Mon Aug 08, 09:16:00 AM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, you must go see Stephanie if she comes to your area. Also, go find her 100 things post (sometime last fall, I think). She talks about the whole doula-LLLL-IBCLC thing in there.

    I'll get over your blog-crush being on someone else. Can't really blame you. I feel the same way about Stephanie.

    But yes, those were Chucks. But here's the thing. I have a pair for each of my kids too. Hi-tops. Dude.

     
  • At Mon Aug 08, 05:03:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awww....I'm crushing right back atcha. And that thing that I do that you don't want to talk about?
    It's the best.

    Steph
    (yarn harlot)

     
  • At Thu Aug 11, 10:39:00 AM CDT, Blogger Jessica said…

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, Thorny!

     
  • At Fri Sep 16, 09:16:00 AM CDT, Blogger Jenny said…

    Welcome to the knitter blogosphere! I think my twins are about the same age as yours (last July) - I'm part of the "never finish anything" nursing knitting twin moms pact with Mamacate. (Except that she actually does finish stuff sometimes - don't let her fool you there...)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home