Thorny Knits

I've got a husband, twin toddlers, a cat who I probably forgot to feed this morning, and never, ever enough time to knit.

7.28.2005

I'm a real knitter now....

So, I've come to realize that I need a knitting blog. I keep thinking about knitting, and doing some knitting, and finding things I want to knit, and so... yeah. Knitting it is.

Hopefully I'll keep up with it all, or at least not be too goofy with it.

Anyway, to start with, I suppose a bit of background.

I've been knitting for a little over a year, ever since my best friend taught me how. Well, she taught me over a year ago, but it wasn't until last fall, after my twin sons Ben and Henry were born and I had long periods of time on the couch with them napping on my lap and nothing much to do that I really got into knitting. I especially got into knitting hats - small, easy, relatively quick and not much dangling to touch the kids' heads and wake them up.

Having mastered knitting in the round, I then tried stripes and cables and i-cords, and later ribbing and yarn overs and drop-stitches and all kinds of other fun stuff. I'm now attemping my first sock (and have cast on and frogged a second for a different pair already, which I'll probably re-cast-on soon), I have yet to try intarnsia or fair isle, as both leave me more than a bit frightened. And I would love to do something cabled again, but I have no idea as to what.

Perhaps baby sweaters or something, but knowing myself to be a prime candidate for Second Sock Syndrome, I have a serious fear of what Second Sweater Syndrome would do to me in knitting for my own kids. And knitting for other kids in my life is a good option - I just have to decide which one.

Wow. So there are a solid 20 things I should link to in this. And pictures I should post. And... wow. This blogging thing, in order to do it right, is going to take more work than I thought.

2 Comments:

  • At Sun Aug 07, 02:52:00 AM CDT, Blogger the fiddlin' fool said…

    Hey there, knitter! Welcome online! Drop me a line if you want to do intarsia or fair isle. I'll give you a few pointers. And don't worry... it's a lot easier than it sounds.

     
  • At Mon Aug 08, 09:10:00 AM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hooray for a Thorn Knitblog!

    I SO hear you on Second Sweater Syndrome (curse of the knitting MOT. After much consideration, I finally decided to just knit one sweater at a time for them, with no relation between the sweaters, just alternating the recipient. It has worked reasonably well, and it also sort of goes toward treating them more as individuals, if that makes any sense. And isn't just a rationalization. Or something. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home