Thorny Knits

I've got a husband, twin toddlers, a cat who I probably forgot to feed this morning, and never, ever enough time to knit.

8.05.2005

All the world's a yarn store

Good grief. Here I am, trying very hard to be good about my yarn addiction. Then Eris shows up and suddenly I'm hunting high and low online for the cheapest, nicest yarn for it I can scrounge. I had found superwash merino at WEBS which would have run me under $70 (including shipping!) for the whole thing (pretty darn impressive considering I would be making the biggest size). But then I got stumped on color. So I decided to give it a day or two to percolate, and by the time it was done percolating, I realized there was no way in hell we could spare $70 for yarn when I already have a ton stashed up as it is.

(Okay. In the world of stashes, mine is but a baby. But considering I've been at this for just about a year and have already spent a ton of money on yarn as it is... I just can't justify it now. Being responsibility totally sucks.)

So, okay. No Eris.

But then, in the past few days, it's like every time I turn around there's somebody trying to de-stash, and offering sweet deals along the way. I could just cry. And meanwhile, when I whine to Caz about all the slinky seductive temptation out there, he says, "You should do it! Happy birthday!" because my birthday is, indeed, coming up. But I've already got three books (one knitting, two non) winging my way from Amazon as birthday presents, and if I'd taken him at his word every time he says this, well... not only would we not pay this month's rent, next month's would be in jeopardy as well.

Plus, I did not realize (as this is my first summer as a true knitter) that summer is apparently when all the big yarn sales hit. I've already passed up on the big yarn sale at one LYS, and then when I happened to drive past the other and saw a big "clearance sale" sign in their window, I just pretended I hadn't seen it. But oh, make no mistake. I saw. Oh sweet woolly goodness, I saw.

So I continue to play it nice, be good, all that stuff, but man, I just don't want to. I wanna buy yarn with wild, freaky abandon and roll around in it once I get it home (or just sit and pet it like an evil mastermind pets his cat), and then do little else but knit for about a week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home