Thorny Knits

I've got a husband, twin toddlers, a cat who I probably forgot to feed this morning, and never, ever enough time to knit.

1.08.2007

Look! Look! Lookee!

My first mittens!





Pattern: Corazon from Knitty (Winter '06)
Yarn: KnitPicks Merino Style in Hollyberry and Nutmeg
Needles: US4 Susan Bates Quicksilver dpns and US6 Takumi bamboo dpns
Started: Dec. 10, 2006
Finished: Dec. 25, 2006
Modifications: I lengthened the thumbs a bit from what the pattern said they should have been, and made the top of the mitten shorter than instructed. My hands are a smidge wide and a lot short, so I skipped a few of the knit rounds between dec rounds at the top, and they turned out just perfectly, I think. Oh, also, I unintentionally picked up an extra stitch for the thumb on the right mitten. I fixed that for the left mitten, only to wind up with big gaps and wound up using my ends to sew them shut a little bit before weaving them in.

The start-finish dates are deceptive. Actually this was an insanely quick knit. Suddenly I'm understanding why people make mittens as Christmas presents. There was a good week, maybe a day or two beyond that in which I was convinced I was going to (you may want to sit down for this) actually finish both stockings for the boys in time for Christmas, and so set the first (finished) mitten aside and didn't cast on the second one. Then, when it became all too clear that the stockings just weren't going to happen? I breezed through the second mitten in no time. A killer case of the stomach flu, complete with three days where it was all I could do to stay awake for four hours at a time, didn't even slow me down much.

I'm really loving them. Well, I would if it would just get cold enough to wear them. Maybe this weekend.

Now I'm totally just jazzed to do something else in stranded colorwork. Of course, I also just cast on a new pair of socks and am considering casting on a second pair, so... we''ll see how that goes. But I am thinking I need to hit the LYS to do something new and stranded and fun. Maybe these.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At Wed Jan 10, 02:19:00 PM CST, Blogger meg said…

    How do the thumbs feel on those? I've never done that kind before and am curious.

     
  • At Wed Jan 10, 02:42:00 PM CST, Blogger Thorny said…

    Well, I will admit, they're not /the/ most comfortable thumbs ever - I suspect something more like Eunny's Anemoi Mittens, where the thumb is gusseted and set a little differently on the palm, will be more comfortable than these.

    However, I expected this type of thumb to be weirder-feeling than they have turned out to be. I was pleasantly surprised, honestly. The difference between these and the gusseted thumb on the mittens you made for me is not as noticeable as I was expecting.

    The one thing I would do though, if I were to make these again (and I haven't ruled that out), is I would put the thumb a little further up the palm than it is in this pattern. I think the pattern calls to put the thumb at like Row 18 of the pattern or something like that. I think it would probably work better at about Row 22 or so. The palm feels a bit short to me, and if I'd done it that way, I probably would have needed to do less finagling with the decreases at the tip.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home