Thorny Knits

I've got a husband, twin toddlers, a cat who I probably forgot to feed this morning, and never, ever enough time to knit.

10.27.2006

The Perils of Poor Eyesight

It's not a good day here at Thorny Central.

Yes, it's true, I've only officially been awake for 35 minutes, but it's been a much longer morning than that.

This thing where Caz works second shift and then puts in four hours of overtime, getting home at 2:30 a.m.? Bites. Because of course we're not grownups who just go straight to bed when he gets home, nor am I the sort of grownup I ought to be, where I just go to sleep when I get tired, whether he's home or not.

So we wind up staying up for an hour, or maybe even two, before finally going to sleep.

Which is deeply hazardous to your headspace when one of your toddlers keeps insisting on getting up at the buttcrack of dawn.

So from about 7:15 on (he let us sleep in later than yesterday), we struggled with Ben, trying to lure him into going back to sleep with us in our bed, never mind that he almost never does that, and certainly never after 12 hours of sleep. Hope springs eternal when you've only got less than three hours of sleep under your belt.

So there was a lot of drowsing off only to have him bodyslam into us, or only to kind of come to enough to realize that he was scraping a capped pen across the front of the monitor. At which point I staggered up, without even bothering with my glasses, to return the pen to its rightful place in the Writing Implement Cup (pens and pencils - we don't discriminate around here) and drag Ben back toward our bed, to try once more to will him into unconsciousness, even for just one more precious hour.


Whups. I guess there wasn't a cap on that pen after all. sigh.

Today does not seem to be a good day to be a monitor.



Yesterday was not a good day to be a cantaloupe around here, either.

TAGYWTNIF. (Thank any god you wish to name it's Friday.)

3 Comments:

  • At Fri Oct 27, 10:44:00 AM CDT, Blogger FemiKnitMafia said…

    Yeah, we try to lure Little Man into bed for that precious additional hour, and we get the same body slam and chatty insistance.
    Hope you get some rest today.

     
  • At Fri Oct 27, 04:34:00 PM CDT, Blogger Suze said…

    good to know we're not the only ones who bring a kid into bed in the hopes of getting a little extra sleep. our boy likes to get up around 5:30. yipe.

    loved the rhinebeck post, by the way. and the two sock knitters' accounts, too!

     
  • At Tue Oct 31, 05:03:00 PM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just catching up on your blog here. Mid-terms have kept me away from the fun stuff on the internet lately. I just love workin gfull time and going to school...again. :)
    I also loved your Rhinebeck recaps. I so feel your pain about embarrasing moments with people of importance. I am always putting my foot in my mouth at the most um...interesting moments. (sheepish grin)
    I hope you guys have a great Halloween. Did you knit and Halloweeny items this year?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home