Thorny Knits

I've got a husband, twin toddlers, a cat who I probably forgot to feed this morning, and never, ever enough time to knit.

11.10.2005

Oh yeah? Intarsia you, too!

Oh lordy. What on earth have I gotten myself into?

I'm knitting Christmas stockings for my kids. Basically, I've got yet another pair of socks to do in the next 46 days. Only these are on size 8 needles and are argyle, instead of a nice easy self-patterning yarn.

So I'm making my first attempts at intarsia, and well... eee-yah. This was perhaps a bit large of a project to start with, just out of the gate. I've got five different bobbins (actually, I just rewound smallish center-pull balls, a decision I'm beginning to rethink) going on each row for the next 70 rows. At which point I put about half the stitches on holders and continue on with three bobbins. (More particulars, and possibly a pic, later.)

I did two rows tonight and... wow. What a mess. It honestly makes me think I might have been better off to try the simple Fair Isle pattern in the book I've got from the library. Except that, well... it's argyle. How does anyone not love argyle? It'd be like if I found a pattern for a Chuck Taylor-styled Christmas stocking. I'd be morally obliged to knit it (don't any of you three DARE find one for me!).

And now, off to bed I go. Eeergh.

On the plus side, I'm about a sixth of the way through the ribbed brim for the Hermione cable-and-bobble hat I'm trying to complete by Nov. 17. It's only a week away. I can totally do this. Really.

1 Comments:

  • At Thu Nov 10, 09:59:00 AM CST, Blogger the fiddlin' fool said…

    Having done argyle socks and knowing exactly what you are going through, I would highly recommend ditching the bobbins / center-pull balls and simply going with a couple arm's lengths of yarn for each color block. Sure, it will get tangled, but all you have to do is pull the end through and you have saved yourself an amazing amount of frustration.

    Once you're confident doing this, you'll find that you can actually leave the non-main color yarn tails attached to the ball and simply manipulate the main color ends around it. This will save you a decent amount of rejoining.

    Size 8 needles sound very nice. Can't wait to see a picture! Mine took forever as I did them on size 2s. Are you going to duplicate stitch the crosses in later, or are you doing intarsia for that as well?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home