Thorny Knits

I've got a husband, twin toddlers, a cat who I probably forgot to feed this morning, and never, ever enough time to knit.

11.24.2005

Contemplative Over Turkey

Total lie. The last turkey that was in our house was some deli turkey and we finished that days ago. We're going to a friend's house for our Grateful Gorging.

But I am going to be a bit introspective, here.

No pics of the socks yet - will take a shot this afternoon (perhaps even of them in action) and get it up tonight, if Vitamin T doesn't put me in a coma for too long.

I'm deciding/realizing that the period after completion of a long-term project is kind of a dangerous time. I finished my socks, leaving my pair of #1 circs free, and so I've been all anxious to get a new pair of socks started. Caz's job is apparently Freaky Cold, so I got a ball of Trekking XXL to make him up a nice pair of socks.

I thought at first I'd go toe-up, two-at-once, so I would avoid any possibility of using too much yarn on Sock #1 only to wind up short on Sock #2. But then I was looking at Cara's Jaywalker Knit-a-long and thinking about how cool the stripey Trekking would look all zig-zaggy, and how Caz is kind of a zig-zaggy kinda guy, so I asked him and he was really jazzed about it. So I thought, "Okay, I know people are having problems with the gauge coming out huge, so I'll use that to my advantage, since the pattern doesn't exactly come in a size for man-feet." At least not for my-man feet. But then I couldn't decide which size of the pattern to run with, and so now... now I think I'm swatching the Trekking. Then will frog and see where it puts me. Also, Caz said he thought it would be cool if the stripes matched, except it's, you know, a nice subtle manly colorway, so figuring out where one stripe becomes another is messing with me. And I know that I'm not going to be able to stand it if I wind up with the stripes almost matched. Once the decision is made to match the stripes, that's that. They must MATCH, dammit! Urgh.

We'll see if the stripe business doesn't make more sense to me once I see my swatch knitted up. If it doesn't... then I might just talk to Caz about making his socks fraternal twins instead of identical ones.

So, after all this fiddling and fussing and floundering went on, I really needed to make some progress. On something. Anything.

So I looked up and spied the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran I got a month or two ago to make a hat for a kid with. So after I rewound it, because the ball was all wonky and falling apart, I cast on (twice, the first time coming up about six inches short on my long-tail cast-on) and started up a kid hat. Likely for one of my kids, actually. We'll see how it turns out, though.

Regardless, though - clearly there's something weird that happens in the mind of a knitter when they've finished a project. Which is why in my need to start a new project, I somehow wound up starting two. sigh.

Soon, every available flat surface in my house ("available" meaning all those at least four feet above the ground, thanks to the Terrifying Twin Toddlers) will have a UFO on it. I better start being nicer to Caz now, huh?

1 Comments:

  • At Thu Nov 24, 03:32:00 PM CST, Blogger meg said…

    OMG, I have to make some of those socks. But first, I have these things to tell you.
    Measure Caz's ankle. Figure 8 sts to the inch or so (what was your gauge on the last pair?) Cast on. Work the ribbing. Try it on him. If it fits, cool. If not, you've just swatched! J's foot takes 68 sts. to cast on, to compare.
    Measure his foot, too, and see if the sock needs to be bigger there than his ankle.
    I would suggest you not fall into the trap of "making the self-striping yarn match." Remember what we were talking about re: if you want matching socks, go to Target. I've seen women on sockknitters absolutely MELT DOWN over their inability to make the self-striping yarn bend to their must-have-matching-socks will.
    Just a thought or two....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home